Thursday, April 10, 2008

Saucy Little Meatloaves

I just made these last night and I would have taken a picture but we already ate all of them! This is a recipe that I got from my Aunt Carolyn. My dad says it's the way his mom has always made meatloaf and it's Matthew's and my favorite. It is super easy and tastes great!

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 c. Quaker Oats
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. diced onion
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. milk
1/4 tsp. pepper

For meat loaves, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Shape into 6 individual meat loaves in shallow baking pan.

1/3 c. catsup
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. prepared mustard

Combine all ingredients; spread over top of each loaf. Bake 350 degrees about 35 minutes.

*You can also top them with sharp cheddar cheese. It's kind of like a cheeseburger then, but it still tastes great.

3 comments:

  1. How lucky I am to have you here cooking up these wonders right in my own kitchen! I love being able to be one of your taste-testers and being your mom-in-law. You are terrific and I love you.
    Tamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky I am to have you cooking up these yummy creations in my very own kitchen! I love being one of your taste-testers and your mom-in-law. You are terrific!
    Tamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try the chocolate pudding one.....but last night we tried this recipe and loved it, so I thought I'd share with you!

    Neiman Marcus Gristmill Grahams
    ¼ C. vegetable shortening
    1 C. dark brown sugar
    ½ C. sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 C. graham or whole-wheat flour, sifted
    1 tsp. grated nutmeg
    1 C. dates, pitted and minced
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    ½ C. confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

    Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly butter an 11 by 17 inch baking sheet.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the shortening with the brown and granulated sugars on low speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, while beating, and when they are incorporated, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the graham flour, nutmeg, dates, and vanilla. Continue mixing together for about 5 minutes, until all of the ingredients are well blended.
    Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Pat out the dough with your knuckles so it fits in an even layer and into the corners of the pan. Score the surface of the dough with a sharp knife to form 2-inch squares. Use a fork to prick each bar 3 or 4 times. Sprinkle the top with the confectioners’ sugar and transfer to the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the dough is puffed up and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle, cutout the bars into the scored 2-inch squares.
    Yield: About 40 Bars

    ReplyDelete