Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Calling

In January I was called to be the Relief Society (RS) President in my ward. Matthew and I attend a married student ward so I am relieved to not have the complexities of a family ward but this has been quite a growing experience. I have some incredible women serving as my counselors and secretary which is a HUGE benefit. These are some of the lessons I have learned in my first three months on the job:

1. A calling like this can consume you, so you have to learn to compartmentalize your life.
2. There are people out there with bigger problems than you, trust me :)
3. People think that they are unique in being shy or feeling weird talking to someone they don't know--almost everyone feels that way.
4. Delegate.
5. It is tough to be the manager. I have managed in my previous work but it was nothing like this. It is really hard for me to be the one who is making sure everyone is doing their job without doing it for them.

I know many of you are LDS so if you are wondering, "What can I do to make my RS president's life better?", here are some answers.

1. Do your visiting teaching. There is a reason we harp on this all the time. It's a big burden to bear to be responsible for dozens of women.
2. Do your calling. Be as enthusiastic as you can about your calling and look for ways you can fulfill it.
3. Be friends with the sisters in RS. If you think you are shy see (3.) above.

Some of the blessings that I have received from this calling thus far are as follows:
1. An increased connection with the Spirit.
2. The ability to know the names and faces of the ~65 sisters in the ward.
3. A better understanding of what RS is all about and why we have it.

If any of you have any tips for a budding, young RS president please pass them on!

3 comments:

  1. You of all people will be great at this! I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job. It is a humbling calling, and makes you realize just how important each and every calling is! Sounds like you've got it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a daunting-but I'm sure rewarding-calling! I'm sure you're doing and excellent job, sounds like you've learned and gained a lot by serving the Lord and the sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great calling for you. I'm sure you're doing great! I liked how you said you have the ability to remember all 65 names. When Grant and I were first married, I was the social butterfly and knew everyone, and he knew hardly anyone. After having some kids, I would meet people and then not remember their names or anything about them. When Grant was in the bishopric, I could ask him about any random person and he could give me all sorts of details (not the juicy ones of course), name, work, major, where they were from. It was crazy. The Lord really does bless you in these callings.

    ReplyDelete