Monday, January 7, 2008

My Wounded Car

I am one of the few people I know (among my peers) who still drives the first car they've ever owned. It is a 1998 Saturn SL Maroon with tan interior. It has been a good car to me and continues to run with hardly any problems except those that are inflicted upon it by other drivers. In the 6 years I have owned the car it has been rear-ended twice, keyed and now broadsided by a flying sign. In those six years, I have done nothing to damage the cosmetic appearance of my car. Here's what happened on Friday:

I was driving home from work on the I-84 in unusually high winds. A pickup, about 3 car lengths in front of me and one lane to the left was carrying a real estate sign made of metal and corrugated plastic and measuring about 4'x5'. A strong gust picked the sign up out of the back of the truck and slammed it, broadside, into the front of my car. The sign flipped up, scraped along the top of my car and then carried on down the road battering at least one more car behind me before it hopped the median and rested in the middle of the five lanes heading in the opposite direction.

I was pretty shocked by the event but had the good sense to chase the guy who lost the sign and get his license plate number. We filed a police report and it seems that the guy is decent and will pay for the damages inflicted up on my car. But now, my car has these nice scuff/scratch marks on the hood and top. Sad day!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You finally posted. You need to be more consistent about updating this thing because I wanna know what's going on with you guys! How's the PA pursuit coming? Sorry about your car...good thing that you didn't get in a wreck though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moley. bad car luck you have. I still drive the first car I ever owned-- the others my parents owned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! Well I'm glad you're okay, even if your car isn't. Smart move getting his license plate. I would have been too stunned to do anything that intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you weren't hurt! That same day the wind blew over a big sign in the Emmett Plaza parking lot and uprooted a tree. Of all the different kinds of weather, wind is my least favorite! We should get together sometime since you guys are so close, I'd love to hear more about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness you're lucky it didn't hurt you. I guess the car gods smile at us who still sport the high school car---don't worry I know exactly what you mean. David and I fight over who has to...I mean who "gets" to take the little red car to work. Poor thing is about to die (again).

    ReplyDelete