Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grandparents

Last week my Grandma Whipple passed away and last summer Grandpa Hurst left us.  It has made me reflect on my relationship with my grandparents.  As this has happened, inevitably, someone asks, "Were you close to them?" and I haven't known how answer this.  Geographically, no.  I've never lived closer than 3 hours from my grandparents and most of my life I have been 8 hours away.  I haven't spent as much time with them as others may have spent with their grandparents.   However, I have always felt close to them.  As a kid we visited at least twice each year and I cherished those weeks spent running around with cousins and eating ice cream with Grandpa and Grandma.  My grandparents have largely been the support that is more felt than seen.  It's the kind of support that you know is there rooting for you through your successes and failures.


Grandma Whipple had a severe stroke left us quite suddenly.  It's so sad to be without her.  She and Grandpa were such a great fit and so sweet to each other.  The world has lost a wonderful, sweet, genuine person.  I am sad that my children won't know her on now.  I hope she can teach them to be like she is.  I want them to know what a kind, giving, loving, sweet person she was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment