Sunday, November 1, 2009

6 More Weeks

I am delighted by the fact that there are only 3 more weeks of class until Thanksgiving break and three more weeks after that. We are sooooo ready for a break!

I often get asked how PA school is going. "Busy" is usually my answer, although I have learned that there are many who have a much higher study time tolerance than I do. I am finding out that I am not a science person, which usually raises some eyebrows--luckily there's more to being a PA than science. And let's face it, I'm not hoping to become the next Dr. House cracking the worlds most mysterious medical cases. I do really enjoy the hands on things. So far we've learned to do injections, draw blood, suture and do physical examinations. All of this I really enjoy. I also like charting, which ostracizes me from most of my classmates. What can I say? I'm a Comms major at heart.

The most challenging thing about school is being in class for 6-8 hours/day, 5 days/week. I sit on one of those big exercise balls instead of a chair (as do many of my classmates). It seems to help me stay awake (haven't fallen asleep and spilled off onto the floor yet anyway) and you can always bounce for entertainment.

I am pleased to report that my US Army stethoscope that Matthew won from a recruiter for guessing the kind of car he drove (strange...I know) seems to work great. Still, I am dreading when I am actually practicing and I have to explain to my patients that I was never in the US Army. It seems like I should come up with a better story of how I got the stethoscope....

3 comments:

  1. So funny. Yeah, the stethescope guessing game story may require too much explaining. Just make up some really great, dramatic story. Or just change your story everytime so no one really knows the true story behind it. That could be fun.
    By the way...what kind of car was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're liking class. Congrats on making it almost to Thanksgiving! I hope Geoff makes it that far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad classes are going well. I met with Glenda Hill the other day and she asked how you were doing. I need to call you to catch up.

    ReplyDelete